A river paddle from Bures to Nayland.
(All members welcome)
- Meeting & Briefing Time: 10.00hrs
- Meeting Point : Bures recreational ground, 4 Nayland Road, Bures, Suffolk CO8 Approx. 150m walk to launch point. Limited parking.
- Car ferries to Nayland to be arranged on the day
- Paddle distance: Approx. 9.5 km (6 miles) one way
- Paddle Time: Approx. 2-3 hours.
- Finish Point: The Anchor Inn, 26 Court Street, Nayland, Colchester CO6 4JL. If you are planning to join us then please can you let us know by clicking ‘leave a reply’ stating your name.
An easy introduction to river paddling suitable for all BCC members. A very pretty and historic river made famous by the Constable paintings.
There are several portages and weirs on route to navigate around including Bures Mill, Wormingford Mill and Wissington Mill where there is a three step weir for the more confident paddler.
There is a slight current and occasional shallow spot, occasionally narrowing through some reed beds, but still easily navigable. We’ll arrange suitable drop off and pick up transportation – parking is available at both ends, but Bures recreational ground is known on occasions to be busy early on.
On arriving at Nayland, the landing place is about 50m from where you can park your car.
And finally… on completing the paddle, no doubt there will be a few paddlers that will choose to stay on for a drink or two in the Anchor Inn.
- Buoyancy aid – you will not be allowed to paddle without one
- Spray deck (optional, but recommended)
- Dry cag / trousers (something to keep out the wind/rain)
- Footwear (wetsuit boots or old trainers)
- Food (e.g. sandwiches/snacks/cereal bars – remember it has to fit in your kayak)
- Drink (e.g. water, energy drink, thermos / hot refreshments)
- Anti-bacterial hand gel (to use before you eat your sandwiches)
River Fees: Possibly.
Any children (under 18 years) will need to be accompanied by an adult (who is also paddling) and a Parental Responsibility form will need to be signed and handed to the event organiser before or on the day of the event.
Can I borrow equipment?
Yes. If you are interested in borrowing some equipment, then please email:Equipment@braintreecanoeingclub.co.uk stating the ‘Bures to Nayland River Paddle’ in the subject box.