A return trip from Paper Mill Lock, paddling north along the River Chelmer towards Chelmsford. (Suitable for all BCC members)
- Date & Meeting Time: 10.00am Sunday 30 April
- Meeting Place: Paper Mill Lock, North Hill, Little Baddow, Chelmsford, CM3 4BS
- Contact: Andy Dronsfield
- Parking: Roadside parking available
- Paddle distance: Approx. 6 miles, round trip (depending on the ability of the group)
- Start Point: Paper Mill Lock papermilllock.co.uk
- Weather Forecast: Dry with a slight breeze, 11-14 degrees
- Rest Point / Lunch: Please bring your own light snacks and refreshments
- Finish Point: Paper Mill Lock
This trip has been chosen as it is a light, gentle, flat water river paddle, suitable for all club members new and old. There will be a 3-4 portages on route and a rest point at approx. half way where we will stop to have lunch.
Typical Kit List (other than the obvious kayak, and paddle)
- Buoyancy aid – you will not be allowed to paddle without one
- Spray deck (optional, but recommended)
- Dry cag / trousers (something to keep out any possible wind or rain)
- Footwear (wetsuit boots or old trainers)
- Food (e.g. sandwiches/snacks/cereal bars – remember it has to fit in your kayak)
- Drink (e.g. water, energy drink, thermos / hot refreshments)
- Insect bite cream
- Anti-bacterial hand gel (to use before you dine!)
Please expect to pay a river fee of approx. £5.00 per kayak for paddling this water way.
Any children (under 18 years) will need to be accompanied by an adult (who is also paddling) and a Parental Responsibility form will need to be signed and handed to the event organiser before or on the day of the event.
Can I borrow equipment?
Yes. Braintree Canoeing Club does have a limited amount of equipment should you wish borrow some e.g. boat, paddle, spray deck, buoyancy aid etc. however, you will need to make your own arrangements to transport any equipment borrowed and of course it would be the individuals responsibility to return all their equipment cleaned / washed and back in safe storage at the club by the following Saturday.
If you are interested in borrowing some equipment, then please email: Equipment@braintreecanoeingclub.co.uk stating the ‘Sunday 30 April Paper Mill Paddle’ in the subject box.